[GLLUG] Java

chuck williams business@servicesbywilliams.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:26:48 -0500

The calendar on this test web page is my Java and JSP first project.
Using Java, which was wonderful, I constructed it from the ground up.
Around mid-fall 2002 I was trying to accomplish it in Javascript and some
GLLUG folks were very helpful. Soon after I scrapped the JS and re-wrote it
in Java. I was much happier.

http://webtest.sme.org/calendar/calendar.jsp?action=n&date=

My experiences could be summarized like this:

 - Tomcat. Yes! (Altho at work we only had Tomcat up for a short while. This
one is on Apache-based Oracle Information Server.)
 - Learn Java:  I'd start by getting the current JDK from java.sun.com.
 - What about JSP? We were told JSP is still growing and we'd be better off
writing it in Java and Java Servlets. Which is what you see in the URL.

Good luck,
Chuck Williams

After looking around for some dev jobs today, it seems that everyone on
the Unix side of the world uses jsp/J2EE for their server side apps.
Anyone know of a good primer for JSP out there?  I'm pretty decent with
PHP, but I've never touched the java stuff.  Also, what would I use on
FreeBSD to power the java stuff?  Is tomcat for JSP or is it just a
java webserver?  So many questions, so few answers.

 -Mike