[GLLUG] Partitions

Marr marr@shianet.org
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:34:58 -0500

On Wednesday 22 January 2003 09:31am, Bruce Smith wrote:
> > FWIW, I have successfully used FIPS
> > (http://www.igd.fhg.de/~aschaefe/fips/) to perform a non-destructive
> > split of a friend's Windows XP machine's 1-partition NTFS hard disk drive
> > to add 2 partitions ...
>
> The partition was really NTFS and not FAT32?  FIPS supports NTFS now?

Yes, this was an "HPFS/NTFS" filesystem (Linux 'fdisk' partition type 7).

I've used FIPS on Windows 2000 (once) and Windows XP (once) to successfully
make space for GNU/Linux.  I suspect the W2K hard disk was also NTFS, but I
don't have access to that machine any more to confirm.  The Windows XP
machine was definitely NTFS.

> I can't find anything in the FIPS 2.0 docs about it supporting NTFS.
> But it would be great it does!  :-)

This may be one of those "perform at your own risk" type operations if FIPS
doesn't officially mention NTFS as being supported. (???)

Bill Marr