[GLLUG] Java

Suzanne Reiner sreiner@fnba.com
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 13:53:01 -0500

I agree it is easier to work with servlets/jsp if you have some knowledge of
java, in general.  I worked through "The Complete Java 2 Training Course" by
Deitel & Deitel for my primer on java.  I found it easy to follow along with
and it has a logical flow through topics... covers a little swing and
jps/servlets, as well.  Once you get into servlets you'll want to take a
look at Struts, too.

Tomcat's great.  You should consider brushing up on xml a little, though.
You should, also, be aware that hooking tomcat into apache can be a
gutt-wrenching experience when you're first learning how things come
together.  Tomcat user's list on jakarta's website is a good source of info
(only spare your self miles of frustration by NOT subscribing to the list...
unless you don't mind 400+ emails per day and no way to get off the list...
despite having tried the 'Unsubscribe' several times).

Suzanne