[GLLUG] Penetration Test

Hampton, Rodney rodney.hampton@jnli.com
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:54:55 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2C3C9.51F7EAC0

Suzanne,

Just a recommendation from the trenches....a fairly computer literate person
could run Nessus and Saint from a linux/unix box  and WebTrends security
analyzer + NetIQ's security analzer from a windows platform.  The linux
programs (Nessus, Saint, +nmap for good measure) are free and you can get a
trial version of the windows programs for evaluation.  The trial versions
have all the features and boast a nice set of html/pdf reports for
management types.

You'll be able to find and lock down most of the easy vulnerabilities before
the penetration test.  A quick audit of your machines to ensure you've got a
1)personal/corporate virus protection suite 2)backup software
3)personal/corporate firewall
will also take you a step in the right direction.  Finally, if you don't
have a company policy on handling security incidents, nor a procedure for
disaster recovery, focus your efforts here.

In short, don't hire a company until you've done your homework and gotten
the basics out of the way.  Make sure the penetration test you contract is
exposing things that you couldn't have discovered on your own.

My 0.02

Rodney Hampton
(sorry abou the HTML mail)