[GLLUG] Penetration Test

Ken Kousky kkousky@ip3inc.com
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 07:41:56 -0500

My firm does this kind of work and we highly recommend that clients
drive the process themselves. Much of what you learn when you start pen
testing is vital for your ongoing mgmt.

None of these scanners cover everything and most get pointed at the
perimeter when the majority of vulnerabilities come from within the
firewall.

Also, virtually all of the major buffer overflow exploits give the
attacker the opportunity to execute "arbitrary code" which means
complete control or "root" on the device and these scanners don't begin
to find these kind of openings ... so I'd suggest you look at
SpiDynamic's scanner and make sure you're not begin myopic in looking
only at the network layer attacks - that's not were series breaches are
coming from today.

Mitre.org and Aberdeen have resurrected the old debate on open vs closed
being more secure - if you're managing assets the debate really doesn't
matter since both environments have extremely serious vulnerabilities.

Hope that helps.

KWK
IP3 Inc.