[GLLUG] Apache Authentication

Thomas Alan Hearn hearntho at msu.edu
Sat Jul 12 20:32:15 EDT 2003

Hello fellow GLLUGers,
  I have yet another question concerning apache.  This time my problem is as
follows.  I am transferring a website that used to be on a windows apache
server, and the login for the site was .htaccess and http auth type login.
My problem is that the .htpasswd file was stored with the passwords in plain
text on the windows machine.  If I remember correctly, i believe linux
requires that .htpasswd files be store encrypted?  My problem is that there
are over 300 users on the site and to manually change all those passwords
would be horrible.  Anyone have any suggestions, and if not, know how to get
about encrypting the file?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
Tom