[GLLUG] MDK 9.1 Sound problems.

troettger at comcast.net troettger at comcast.net
Mon Jul 14 21:49:37 EDT 2003

Hello all, I am somewhat new to the list and have a question for you all.  I
just installed MDK 9.1 on my laptop, new install new partitions.  And I am
having sound problem.  Nothing new, I ran MDK 9.0 through the beta's and had
problems with every build, which I could get around and fix myself until 9.1 by
just correcting the modules config file.  Its an older laptop, a Gateway 2150,
600mhz, the sound card is detected as es1371. From previous experience I knew I
needed to use the es1371 driver, the other driver was the snd-ens1371.  I
choose this driver when asked in the install but when I first booted the laptop
The soundcard wasn't working and it was loading the snd-ens1371 driver.

I believe the snd-ens1371 is an ALSA Driver and the es1371 is a OSS driver.  I
checked the .conf file and fixed what normally fixed it before and it didn't
work this time.  To get my sound to work I have to rmmod kill the pid for kmix
(when using kde) then rmmod all the snd drivers I can then run draksound and
choose the correct driver and it will restart the sound server and work
normally (but if I don't rmmod the drivers it won't work at all.

>From What I am guessing MDK built the wrong drivers into the kernel so I think
I am gonna have to recompile the kernel.  Any thoughts on how or why MDK would
do this?  Any quick fixes?  I haven't recompiled a kernel yet so I am a bit
leary, though it is a new install and won't kill much if I screw it up.

On an interesting side note, any version of Red Hat perfectly detects and
configures my card without problem.

--
Tim Roettger