[GLLUG] Tape drives

Mark Szidik/mlc SzidikM at mlcnet.org
Thu Jul 24 11:07:42 EDT 2003

I need to buy a tape drive for some new systems coming and am wondering
what people are using and like.  I have in the past used all DAT drives and
have been happy with their reliability and low cost of tapes.  However, 20
GB native capacity is not going to cut it for these new systems.  I am
looking at LTO-1 drives 100GB native capacity and SDLT drives with 160GB
capacity. The LTO-2 drive 200GB native is about out of my budget. These
drives will have the capacity for me, but I am wondering how well the
drives themselves hold up to daily backups and how well the tapes last.  I
was shocked to see that the LTO-1 tapes cost about $45 each and the SDLT
tapes are $145 each and LTO-2 tapes are about $100 each.  I guess I was
used to $12 for a DDS4 tape.

Any comments?

Thanks,
---
Mark Szidik
Michigan Library Consortium
1407 Rensen Street, Suite 1,  Lansing, MI 48910-3657
Ph:800.530.9019 x17   Fax:517.394.2096
MLC - Partnerships. Solutions. Excellence.