[GLLUG] Fun with LILO

Chick Tower c.tower at express56.com
Tue Jun 3 17:08:59 EDT 2003

I just had an interesting go-round in my first attempt to set up
LILO.  I was using the admin programs for Mandrake 9.0 and Vector
Linux 3.2 (based upon Slackware 8.1), so I never used the command-
line.  The two distros use different versions of the Linux kernel.  I
also have a Win98SE partition I wanted to inlcude in my boot options,
and that one worked fine every time.  However, whenever I installed
LILO from one of the distros and used it to make my selection upon
boot, both distros would report using the version of the kernel for
whichever distro I had used to install LILO in the MBR, which caused
problems for the other distro.  I have one hard disk, so the boot
disk had to be /dev/hda.  Both had a /boot/map file, so I left the
reference to it in the global section of lilo.conf.  Luckily, I
figured out how to use grub (which came only with Mandrake) to make
my boot selections.

Has anyone else ever had this problem with LILO, and figured out how
to use it successfully?

                    Chick