[GLLUG] a few meetings ago... (p2p related)

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Jun 3 20:35:23 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 03 June 2003 17:53, after a long battle with technology, Mark
Tarquini wrote:
> A few meetings ago, someone, had a whole list of good and great p2p
> programs for linux...
>
> what were they again? =)

eDonkey (obsolete) http://edonkey2000.com/ [*]
Overnet (successor to eDonkey) http://overnet.com/ [*]
mlDonkey (Open Overnet/eDonkey clone) http://mldonkey.org/
Gnutella (yuck) http://gtk-gnutella.sourceforge.net/
XNap (Napster clone, uses OpenNap network) http://xnap.sourceforge.net/
GiFT (FastTrack clone?) http://gift.sourceforge.net/

More exist, but that'll get you started.  The [*] marked clients consist
of 2 parts, a statically-linked command-line "core", and an Open GTK+
frontend.  Read the docs.  Make sure you throttle outgoing bandwidth to
a max of ~80% of your upload cap; this'll make it possible to do other
Net stuff while the P2P app is running.  IIRC, everything except
Gnutella can do that.

> on a side note...convincing windows users that linux is better quite
> a challenge. =)

This sentence missing a verb.

--
   Quantum theory states that you have changed the actual contents of
   this message by observing it.  Since you have changed it, we can't be