[GLLUG] Re: Fun with LILO

Chick Tower c.tower at express56.com
Thu Jun 5 23:18:44 EDT 2003

> Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 16:20:30 -0400
> From: Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net>
> Subject: Re: [GLLUG] Fun with LILO
> To: linux-user at egr.msu.edu

> So there's no common /boot partition; each distro has its own /boot ?
Yes, indeedy.

> This can cause problems if you don't set things up right.  If you have
> multiple Linux distros on one machine, the thing to do is to have one
> small /boot partition that's shared among all distros.  You put your
> kernel images in there and call them /boot/vmlinuz-redhat-2.4.6 ,
> /boot/vmlinuz-gentoo-2.4.20 , etc.
It would have been nice if the lilo.conf man page had suggested this.
 It seems a fairly obvious situation for a multi-OS boot manager to
face.

> Huh?  What, precisely, do you mean here?  LILO uses a file somewhere on
> disk (default /boot/map) as its "loading map".  This file contains the
> raw sector positions of all the files that LILO might have to load.  If
> LILO is being used as the main bootloader, there should be exactly one
Maybe that's why the wrong version of the kernel was being used by
the OTHER distro of the two, no matter which one I used to install
LILO.

> GRUB wins out over LILO if only because you don't have to remember to
> rerun /sbin/lilo every time you change the configuration file.
Which is exactly why I had wanted to use GRUB in the first place,
but, since Vector Linux doesn't have GRUB, I thought I'd have to use
LILO.  Luckily, I worked things out that way, anyway.

                    Chick