[GLLUG] fetchmail solution for mail.msu.edu

Scott Henry Harrison harris41 at msu.edu
Sun Jun 8 15:06:28 EDT 2003

Hi Dennis Pipper et. al.:

Picking up on a thread from this April.

In early May, I was playing around with the mail.msu.edu upgrade
and trying to set-up fetchmail.

I tried all the solutions, and like you experienced, none of them
worked, at least as described at:
http://www.egr.msu.edu/archives/public/linux-user/2003-April.txt

What did work (for contemporary and past versions of
fetchmail and redhat) was to have this as the .fetchmailrc file:

poll mail.msu.edu with proto IMAP and options no dns
      user 'YOURMSUNAME' there with pass 'YOURMSUPASSWORD'
      is 'YOURCLIENTUSERNAME' here ssl

For some reason, fetchmail (on redhat at least) did not want
to work with the POP protocol, but it did work fine with IMAP+SSL.

(Of course, this all assumes that the mail.msu.edu server is...ahem...
working.)

Regards,
Scott