[GLLUG] crontabs

bfdamkoehler at worldnet.att.net bfdamkoehler at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 10 20:39:07 EDT 2003

Todd Torrey wrote:
> I was wondering if directly editing a crontab without using "crontab" is
> strictly prohibited.
> I want to be able to edit a crontab via a script without any user
> interaction. Is this o.k.?
> To be more specific about my intentions, I want to serve a web page
> showing the contents of a crontab and also allow editing the crontab via
> a web form.
>
> Thanks,
> Todd

Sure. If you don't already have the crontab in its own file you get a
copy into a temp file, edit that and then resubmit it via something like:

     crontab -l >crontab.tmp
     edit crontab.tmp in whatever way you want
     crontab crontab.tmp
     rm crontab.tmp

If you already have the crontab in its own file you can just do this:

     edit your_crontab_file in whatever way you want
     crontab your_crontab_file