[GLLUG] Re: crontabs and geeks

Felicia Berryman felicia at lon-capa.org
Wed Jun 11 13:32:04 EDT 2003

Hello Todd and everyone,

 > I was wondering if directly editing a crontab without using "crontab" is
 > strictly prohibited.

Actually it is.  I used to use crontab -e for editing and then I had to
switch to the technique that bfdamkoehler at worldnet.att.net described.
 From the geek history I learned the other day when I had this problem,
crontab -e posed a security risk but no one was actively writing the
code of crontab anymore so the -e option was just disallowed.

Speaking of geek, I recently took the innergeek test and I'm only
23.86588% Geek - even with the bonus 1% that females get.  I've passed
the test around to many of my friends and the highest I know so far is
in the sixties.  The highest female I know of is 25%.

You may be wondering how I learned the history of crontab.  From my
above 60% geek friend of course!

http://www.innergeek.us/geek.html

Felicia
--