[GLLUG] redhat 7.3 install problem on Compaq computer

Yao-Ying Chien chieny@pilot.msu.edu
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 13:11:49 -0500

Hi,

Thanks for all replies. You guys are great!!!

Last night Mandrake 9.0 was successfully installed to my Presario (P-III 450MHz). So I know that hardware was not the cause (well I take that back, see next paragraph). It was 3a, so I went right to sleep. Debian 2.2 appears to work too, but it was a more complicate install process. So I sort of use as much defaults as possible such that I did not have to type or read the instructions.

So far I know Redhat 7.3 and 8.0 do not work on my Presario. But I vaguely remember that I used to install a Redhat (could be one of the 6.0-7.2) on this machine before. At that time, different keyboard (was Din 8; now PS2), mouse (was serial 3 buttons; now PS2 IntelliMouse, wheel), memories (was 256 MB PC-66; now 2x256MB PC-133), and harddrive (was one 3.2G; now three: 19G WD <win98>, 12G Maxtor <Linux here>, 14G IBM <win2000 Pro SP3>) were used. Which one would be your prime suspect?

Yao