[GLLUG] Re: New Video Card Advice

Marr marr at flex.com
Sat Nov 1 13:46:46 EST 2003

On Friday 31 October 2003 05:11pm, Chick Tower wrote:
> Is that an nForce or nForce2 mobo, Brian?  If either, it should have the
> capabilities of the nVidia GeForce2 MX built-in.

I don't know much about the original nForce chipset, but the nForce2 chipset
on my Shuttle SN41G2 XPC (SFF -- small form factor) provides GeForce4-MX
capability, not GeForce2-MX.

Under Linux, I've played 'Return To Castle Wolfenstein' (RTCW) (and the free
'Enemy Territory' variant of that game) and 'America's Army' just fine with
the nForce2 chipset and an AMD 'XP 2200+' CPU. My RTCW framerates with the
proprietary nVidia binary driver run up to 90+ FPS. I see no reason to put a
video card in this box's AGP slot. :^)

It's native dual-head VGA too -- very nice.  It also has 'TV-out' (in S-video
or composite format), which I only recently (successfully) tested.

Aside (as a follow-up to my 25 July 2003 post about using Linux with this
system): I previously stated that the Firewire (IEEE-1394) on the Shuttle
SN41G2 XPC did not work (at least with Slackware 9.0's 2.4.20
kernel). I have since upgraded to Slackware 9.1 (2.4.22 kernel) and, as
expected, the Firewire capability is now working perfectly (as tested with an
external Maxtor Firewire hard disk drive and a Sony camcorder) and it didn't
require any additional drivers. Very nice!

Bill Marr