[GLLUG] Mismatched pair: cobol and me. Guru needed!

Jolyon Michael Vincent vincen21 at msu.edu
Wed Nov 5 23:28:00 EST 2003

Guru needed! send help! I'm drowning in a vat of anxiety.
non programmer seeks expert advice on COBOL for basic cobol class....

would like to know if there are any people in the LUG who know cobol and
would be willing to answer questions on an as-needed basis. Also would like
to know what resources msu has for programming help. Tutoring/mentoring,
learning labs etc etc....despite the fact that the class isn't an msu class,
I still need to find support.

Also, if you know how I can use Cobol in Linux Redhat 8.0 to make something
usable, please let me know. I don't know why I would need to learn Cobol
other than the fact that it is a programming language, and it has a certain
structure that might be found elsewhere. (my best guess).

Some background on my lack of programming: I took C++ at Rochester Institute
of Tech (www.rit.edu) and failed miserably. I took Basic in grade
school...Studied Virtual Basic at RIT (one week) but was generally confused
at that as well.Vbasic seemed to be more like web programming (learned
rudimentary HTML on my own...worked with dreamweaver for a-bit.)

Background on me: I am an artist, not a mathematician! And while my spelling
and grammar might be abit off here, I'm more of a journalist than a
programmer.

Can someone out there please teach me enough code to thwart my anxiety?