[GLLUG] Firewalls Cross-Ported to Windows

Melson, Paul PMelson at sequoianet.com
Mon Nov 10 09:07:21 EST 2003

Sorry for the slow response on this.  There are three that I personally
like a lot.

The first one is Tiny Firewall (http://www.tinysoftware.com/), which
used to be free, but is now commercial.  It's reasonably priced, though
($50, I think).  Tiny Firewall is great because it provides a lot of
control at the OS level as well as the network level.  It also supports
different user profiles, so that the degrees of security can be varied
by user.  Very granular, very powerful.  I'm surprised it hasn't been
bought up by one of the larger security players like Cisco or Symantec.

In no particular order, the second and third are Kerio Personal Firewall
(http://www.kerio.com/) and Sygate Personal Firewall
(http://www.sygate.com/).  Both have at least a free trial version, and
I think SPF may still have a free version with fewer features than the
commercial version.  I like both of these because they're what you
normally think of when you think of a firewall.  You can create basic
network rule sets for what is and isn't allowed, as well as reporting
and some other security features.  Not as thorough as Tiny, but easy to
configure and understand.

FWIW, I personally use SPF at work because the new Cisco VPN Client
recognizes it.  That way I can connect to concentrators that require a
client firewall without using the one included with the client.

PaulM