[GLLUG] Questions about Cygwin/XFree86 - ports and SSH tunnel ing

Melson, Paul PMelson at sequoianet.com
Mon Nov 10 11:27:10 EST 2003

I'm not sure I follow you.  `XWin -query 192.168.0.9` makes an XDMCP connection to 192.168.0.9.  If that works across the local network, and 192.168.0.9 is running the OpenSSH daemon, you should be able to tunnel both X11 and XDMCP over the same SSH connection with no trouble.  Try this from a Cygwin shell:

ssh [user]@192.168.0.9 -XNf -L 177:127.0.0.1:177 && /usr/X11R6/bin/XWin.exe -query 127.0.0.1

Alternately, if you're connecting to it through a different Linux/BSD firewall that's running OpenSSH, you can set up the port forwarding like this:

ssh [user]@[fw-addr] -Nf -L 177:192.168.0.9:177 -R 6000:127.0.0.1:6000 && /usr/X11R6/bin/XWin.exe -query 127.0.0.1

The above example assumes that there's no X server listening on port 6000 of the firewall, filtered or otherwise.

Anyway, once you identify which tunneling scenario meets your needs, translating this into a PuTTY config should be straightforward.

PaulM