[GLLUG] Quickie AMD Newbie Question

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Fri Nov 14 10:51:06 EST 2003

On Friday 14 November 2003 10:03, after a long battle with technology,
Brian Hoort wrote:
> I've got my first AMD -- an Athlon.  Under the kernel optimizations,
> I should choose IA32 and not AMD K6 or K7, right?

Athlon{TBird,XP,MP} = K7; the menu choice in "make menuconfig" you want
is labeled "Athlon/Duron/K7".  "IA32" is not a valid CPU type; it
describes everything from a 386 to the latest Athlon MP.

If you meant "should I compile my kernel for a 386 instead of the
processor type I have?", I don't know.  Some people say things actually
work faster this way.  I never saw significant improvements from trying
that.  The big win comes from compiling libc and CPU-intensive
applications (mplayer, xine, etcetera) with -O2 , MMX/SSE, and -march=
set properly.

--
   Seemingly ordinary humans transform into rage-fueled sarcasm
   dispensers.  I love it!  --Patrick Shaughnessy