[GLLUG] HTML/PHP form submission problem - periods become underscores

Edward Glowacki glowack2 at msu.edu
Mon Nov 17 11:22:04 EST 2003

I'm having a weird problem with HTML form submission.  My form contains
a series of entries like the following:

<input type="checkbox" name="system:www.msu.edu[]" value="wid" />

However, when I try to extract the data from $_REQUEST, it has no key
for "system:www.msu.edu", but it DOES have "system:www_msu_edu".  I
would try to search-and-replace underscores with periods, but
underscores are also valid in this context.  Is there something in the
form data encoding, or HTTP/HTML specs that specify "." as an invalid
character that would cause this problem?  I think I'm using the proper
encoding:

<form method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data" action="">

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

-ED

Edward Glowacki			glowack2 at msu.edu
A PBS mind in an MTV world.
	-- Author unknown