[GLLUG] inodes and ls -dl

Ben Pfaff blp at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Nov 20 18:25:38 EST 2003

Michael Cox <cox-m at sbcglobal.net> writes:

> I am running through the IBM tutorials and come to
>
> ls -dl /usr/local
>
> This is supposed to display all the directories shared
> by the inode.

That's not what -d or -l does with GNU ls.  Read the manpage.

       -d, --directory
              list directory entries instead of contents, and do not  derefer-
              ence symbolic links

       -l     use a long listing format

--
On Perl: "It's as if H.P. Lovecraft, returned from the dead and speaking by
seance to Larry Wall, designed a language both elegant and terrifying for his