[GLLUG] adding directories to ftp server

Marshal Newrock marshal at simons-rock.edu
Tue Oct 7 02:07:33 EDT 2003

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Mark Tarquini wrote:

> I have successfully setup an ftp server using vsftpd, but I cannot
> figure out how to get more than just the 'pub' folder that is in
> /var/ftp/  ...  I want to be able to download my mp3s and what not from
> my work.
>
> I thought maybe I could just add symbolic links to where the stuff is
> currently stored in my home directory, but I that didn't work.
>
> Any words of wisdom? =)

I took a look at the vsftpd.conf manpage online, and my best guess is that
if guest user is chrooted, you will not be able to symlink to something
not in the chroot.  You can play around with the *_root settings to point
it directly at the directory you want, including per-(virtual-)user
settings.  You can't, however, give it multiple directories in the config
file.

proftpd has a very apache-like config file, in which I believe you can
specify multiple directories.

If you're looking for security, though, your computer already has an sftp
server (part of ssh).  The standard command line (on Linux and BSD
including OSX) isn't particularly powerful, but there are, of course,
front-ends available capable of multiple file transfers.  Free clients are
available for Windows too.

And if you know exactly what you want to transfer, scp will do in a pinch.

--
Marshal Newrock, unemployed Linux user in Lansing, MI
Caution: Product will be hot after heating