[GLLUG] Wi Fi Support in Current Releases

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Oct 7 10:15:36 EDT 2003

On Monday 06 October 2003 21:45, after a long battle with technology,
Michael J McCarty wrote:
> I've been fighting the newbie fight with the added burden of
> connecting to our DSL via Wi Fi (802.11b).  I saw on the Mandrake
> site that release 9.1 supports wireless networking (out of the box
> maybe??). Is this becoming common for current releases with the rising
> popularity of wireless?

802.11b is pretty popular.  However, support for 802.11b hardware is
mostly dependent on the kernel, not the specific version of whatever
distro you're using.  More recent kernels (latest stable version is
2.4.22) support more devices.  Mandrake 9.1 may have a friendly
pointy-clicky configuration assistant, but it has the same 802.11b
support (or lack thereof) as the next distro down the line, and it all
ends up doing "modprobe $MODULE", ifconfig, iwconfig, and route in the
end.

Anyway:  Are you still having a problem with your 802.11b card?  If so,
provide details, like the make and model of the card, the version of
the distro you're running, the output of "uname -a", and a detailed
description of what you've tried already and any error messages you
received.  http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html is snarky and
abrasive, but it's a very good guide to asking technical questions.
HTH,

--
   And I ruthlessly pay as little money as possible for as many french
   fries as I can, thanks to the evil tax dodge known as "Super Sizing."