[GLLUG] gnip (server monitoring program)

Hampton, Rodney rodney.hampton at jnli.com
Wed Oct 15 08:31:48 EDT 2003

Marshall,

Since I do a fair bit of enterprise level monitoring allow me to add a few
comments.
1) Create a user account on the remote machine (say WebMon for example)
2) Your monitoring machine can ping the remote machine, but it can also
telnet or ssh to the remote machine (it isn't hard to create an expect
script that does this)
3) You know if the telnet or ssh login is successful that the remote machine
is up since it had to at least create a shell account and therefore is not
just a dead machine responding to pings because the networking stack is
still OK.
4) It is much easier to add functionality like having the monitoring machine
log into the remote machine being monitored and fire off a script or run
something like vmstat, ps, lsof, etc.
5) Updates to the monitoring machine can be accomplished from a central
location.  Under your paradigm you would need to push out updates to your
program to ALL of the remote machines.

Just my 0.02

Rodney Hampton