[GLLUG] Installing Java Plugin for netscape

Melson, Paul PMelson at sequoianet.com
Thu Oct 16 17:03:52 EDT 2003

Alright, I don't know if this will help or simply accelerate hair loss,
but I just tried it and it worked fairly smoothly.  Here's what I did.

a) Downloaded Netscape 7.1 Installer
(ftp://ftp20.netscape.com/pub/netscape7/english/7.1/unix/linux22/netscap
e-i686-pc-linux-installer.tar.gz)

b) Installed Netscape 7.1 as root, Navigator & Flash plugin only.

c) Downloaded the J2RE RPM installer
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html)

d) Installed J2RE as root (/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_01)

e) "Installed" Java plugin using the following:
	cd /usr/local/netscape/plugins
	ln -s
/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_01/plugins/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

f) Ran Netscape 7.1 and tested Java plugin at
http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/1.4.2/demos/applets/Clock/example1.h
tml

Hope that helps!

PaulM