[GLLUG] true type fonts ?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Fri Oct 17 10:11:10 EDT 2003

On Friday 17 October 2003 01:01, after a long battle with technology,
Mark Tarquini wrote:
> Is it possible for windows true type fonts to work in linux?
> If it is possible has anyone done it?  have any recommendations?

Yes, yes, and "fetchmsttfonts".  That's a small shell script that
downloads the "core Web fonts" (including the
never-to-be-sufficiently-damned 'Comic Sans') from Microsoft, puts them
in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Truetype , goes to that directory, runs
ttmkfdir , then does "xset fp rehash".  You can do all that manually by
copying the .ttf files to that directory and running "ttmkfdir && xset
fp rehash".  Note that /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Truetype has to be in
the font path, like so:

# in /etc/X11/XF86Config
Section "Files"
   FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Truetype"
[...]
EndSection

There's also a font installer in recent KDE builds.  I've never used
this though.

--
   Life is a persistent hallucination, Death a mere illusion.
             Taxes, however, are Objective Reality.