[GLLUG] why doesn't this work?

Sean O'Malley picasso at madflower.com
Fri Oct 24 22:39:03 EDT 2003

On 24 Oct 2003, Ben Pfaff wrote:

> The really puzzling thing to me is how `ls -l | awk {'print $9'}`
> is better than, or different from, "*".  Not to mention how the
> given `for' loop is better than "cat * > makeAll.mysql".

On Solaris with tcsh, it was including the output file in the glob so you
couldn't just do it all in the same directory. bash is probably handling
it differently. I didn't try it with bash.

I think this basically is turning out to be a "why didn't this work" vs "I
need it to work this way " type of exercise in futility. =)