Fwd: [GLLUG] New Video Card Advice

Sean O'Malley picasso at madflower.com
Thu Oct 30 10:34:11 EST 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Brian Hoort wrote:

> I forgot to mention that I would really like to get a digital flat screen
> sometime in the future, and would love a card that had both DVI and VGA
> outputs on it, for this eventuality.  I guess in my list of priorities,
> that would fall in at number 3.

If you were really a "cheap bastard"(number 3) you wouldn't be asking
about a video card. You would be looking for a machine with good serial
console support.  If you _want_ a video card, you can get a pci video card
for like 3 bucks used.

Literally a cheap "high tech" solution is a 386 laptop and serial console.
This should do everything you need to do on the console of a fileserver.
If you need to run X than you can just run that acrossed the network on
your workstation.

But if you were serious about being cheap but wanting quality you probably
would have just forked over the grand for a low-end Sun rackmount server
and 20 bucks for the serial console and you would have been done. But then
again I do figure time into my overall cost equation.

What cost less upfront is not necessarily the cheapest. =)