[GLLUG] New Video Card Advice

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Thu Oct 30 12:44:29 EST 2003

C. Ulrich wrote:
> Even if Linux doesn't support 8X (not sure if it does or not), it will
> automatically scale back to 4X and be usuable, just maybe not *quite* as
> fast.

Actually, come to think of it, since he's "not playing games", a good
ole' fashioned PCI interface would be fast enough.

If you're not trying to shovel large quantities of high-resolution
textures down the bus several tens of times per second (i.e., 3d
gaming), you don't need the higher speed buses, and in fact from my own
experience I'd say go ahead and *actively* turn down the AGP speed in
your BIOS. Unless you crank it up and see a difference and thereby see
at least one positive to keeping it at the high speed, it can only cause
you trouble; I've never owned a motherboard that could actually do the
fastest AGP speed it claimed it could do *reliably*.

I wouldn't worry about bus speed in this scenario. In fact, short of
multi-monitor support if desired, I don't see any reason to buy anything
but the cheapest graphics card you can find that is compatible with
Linux. Even my crappy little TNT2 can keep up with any 2D application my
computer can manage to throw at it. 8MB of RAM is about twice as much as
it needs to run any feasible resolution at 32-bit color.