[GLLUG] LINUX SAMBA QUESTION

Benjamin Minshall minshal1 at msu.edu
Wed Sep 3 19:06:01 EDT 2003

Ex Fed wrote:
> Does anybody out there use Samba as a PDC or Fileserver in a win 2000
> and XP envirionment.

Yep, and it works quite well.

> Is this easy to configure, and map drives.

It isn't too bad, not much more complicated than a regular samba
configuration.

> Are
> there any security concerns, by that I mean could it be any more
> insecure than Micro$oft?

Samba doesn't add any new ones; and, it probably protects against some
of the problems in windows networking.

> Are there any issues with authenication and keeping passwords meshed up?

There certainly can be depending on the size of your network and types
of users.  Samba does provide some facilities for syncing UNIX/NIS
passwords when Windows domain users change their windows passwords.  You
can use PAM with samba if you don't mind passwords trasmitted in plain
text on your LAN.  If you'd rather use MS encrypted passwords on the
LAN, then samba needs its own password file.