[GLLUG] Port forwarding

Benjamin Minshall minshal1 at msu.edu
Fri Sep 5 15:51:53 EDT 2003

Sure thing, I'll go through my set up and you can see if anything
applies to your situation.

{
Home PC (Win2k/XP):
   SSH Client with X11 forwarding such as PuTTY -- download link below
   XWin32, Exceed, or Cygwin X11 Server

-OR-

Home PC (Linux):
   ssh (use ssh -X for Xforwarding)
   xserver
}

Linux Firewall/Gateway:
   SSHD with "X11Forwarding yes" in the sshd_config file.
   xvncviewer installed (xvncviewer in Debian)
   xauth (xbase-clients in Debian)

Work PC (Win2k/XP):
   VNC Service

Just configure the home pc's X server to accept connections from
localhost (usually on by default), and then ssh into the linux gateway.
  At the shell in linux, run "xvncviewer -compresslevel=9 workhost", and
if all goes well you'll get a vnc window pop up on your home PC.

PuTTY download:

Hope that helps.  Let me know if you have any more questions.
-Ben