[GLLUG] Port forwarding

Benjamin Minshall minshal1 at msu.edu
Fri Sep 5 16:26:39 EDT 2003

Matt-

The best thing to do is to drop the screen resolution on the target VNC
machine.  Although 1600x1200 is usable over a cable modem, 800x600 is
far more tolerable.

I also use the "-compresslevel 9" flag on xvncviewer which enables
maximum JPEG compression when updating the screen.  I've had some
success with "-encodings hextiles" and "-encodings copyrect" on some
machines also, but as far as I can tell that depends on the apps you're
running over VNC.  The manpage suggests copyrect will perform better
with lots of moving graphics.  I wouldn't recommend the default "raw"
encoding unless you're on >=10Mbit.

-Ben