[GLLUG] FreeBSD smbfs question

N N Ashok nalkunda at egr.msu.edu
Sat Sep 20 15:28:56 EDT 2003

On Saturday 20 September 2003 01:18 am, Marshal Newrock scrawled:
> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, C. Ulrich wrote:
> > > Try: `mount_smbfs -I [ip of powerface] -W EILNET //eil at powerface/test
> > > /share`
> > >
> > > Do you still get the same error message?
> > >
> > > PaulM
> >
> > Nope, but it prompts for a password, which is what I'm trying to get
> > around. Leaving out the -I and -W flags works fine, too. What I'd like
> > to do is get the config file straighted out so that I can just plop a
> > line into fstab and have it automatically mount the smb share during
> > boot.
>
> This is a bit of a workaround, rather than a fix for the mount problem,
> but you could try including a config file based on the connecting machine,
> and allow guest access in that config file.  For example, include in
> smb.conf:
> 'include = /etc/samba/%I.smb.conf'
>
> %I is the IP address of the client machine, and the least likely to be
> spoofed.  Internet name (%M) and Netbios name (%m) are also available.
>
> In the ip.ad.dr.es.smb.conf file, you can set up the directory in question
> to be guest readable, probably also setting the "map to guest" parameter.
>
> Look at 'man smb.conf' for details, especially at 'include' so you can see
> why you want to avoid 'security = share' in an included config file.

I wasnt paying attention earlier to so i might have misunderstood the problem.
you want to be able to mount a smb share through fstab such that it doesnt
ask you for the password? Well if yes, then i've been doing the same for
quite some time now :).
here is my fstab entry:
//maxtor/public         /mnt/public             smbfs
credentials=/root/.credentials,uid=500,gid=500,workgroup=elans 0 0

the uid, gid i set so that i dont have to be root to access the mounted
partition (rw). the credentials file describes the username and password for
smb authentication (just the two lines in the file):

username=ashok
password=blahblah

hope that helps,
ashok