[GLLUG] OT: Top posting/Bottom posting

Jennifer jennifer at confettifalling.com
Mon Sep 22 16:43:49 EDT 2003

Scott Harrison wrote:

>Hi Matt et al:
>
>Looking back through the last 10 GLLUG messages in my
>e-mail folder, top-posting appears to be the convention.
>For example, every other respondent top-posted to Tom's
>original question.  Earlier threads in my mailbox show
>a similar pattern.
>
>Top-posting is of course a serious issue for some like you:
>http://dissemble.net/tlug-archive/02-10/31747.html
>
>I'd say whatever the list admin wants is cool.
>Contact him and suggest he post something
>on the relevant website.

I am amazed by this insistance on bottom-posting. I have never heard
this discussed or debated before, and apparently, it's a hot-button
issue on this list. I've been on the 'net since '94 or '95, and I have
been a member of countless email groups and even owned/moderated quite a
few over the years, so I'm not just some air-headed newbie who doesn't
even know what RTFM means.

I've always relied on subject lines for topic, and preferred the reply
to be the first thing I see when I open the message.

After reading the link addressed above, I understand better why it's an
issue here, and why it's a good thing for some lists. I'll do my best to
follow list convention, but I hope everyone will understand if I forget;
years of habit are hard to undo.

Jennifer
--
http://confettifalling.com/