[GLLUG] OT: Top posting/Bottom posting

Scott Harrison harris41 at msu.edu
Tue Sep 23 14:43:00 EDT 2003

> So if we want to end this thread, isn't the quickest way to call someone
> a nazi? Oh, wait. That doesn't work if you do it on purpose. Oh, shucks. :)

Eric Raymond wrote a good essay at:

An interesting set of paragraphs is where he describes the
importance of not being vague, just be clear and do not
engage in primate politics.  That is my major goal when
I e-mail.  I do not see there to be any insult-hurling here
like you suggest.  (A peanut gallery, yes.)

Everyone is welcome to come forward with their opinion.
Heck, if someone wants to come forward with a strong
reasonable argument for the minority opinion, they'd earn
my respect, especially if they kept rational despite somehow
feeling insulted.  I still would likely have my own opinion
however.

As it stands, I am glad someone brought up their preference
for bottom-posting if that is their opinion.  If
anything, it does speak to a larger important issue:

> "I appreciate it when someone takes the
> 7/10 ths of a second it takes to clean up a message"

That is the real issue.  Somebody send me a note when
this now pointless thread is done with, and then I'll know
when to restart my subscription again.

Now go ahead and split this thread off onto World War II
or wherever you are trying to go with it.

--
Scott Harrison <harris41 at msu.edu>
Michigan State University