[GLLUG] Linux forms

Bruce Smith brucesmith at chartermi.net
Tue Sep 23 15:30:24 EDT 2003

> > I would really like to build a "Green Screen" type application for
> > linux, but have not found many options for the software.  For
> > example, one could use Ncurses, but it's a little lower level than I
> > would like to use.  I could use PHP and restrict Lynx options, but
> > that's basically a web application...any other ideas?
>
> "dialog" allows you to create various dialog boxes from a shell script.
> The kernel's "make menuconfig" uses dialog to do its thing.

Not to be picky, but the kernel's menuconfig uses a stripped-down/old
version of dialog called lxdialog.  The real "dialog" package offers a
lot more functionality.  http://hightek.org/dialog/

BTW, "dialog" can also be used as a front end to perl as well as shell
scripts.  (although I've never tried it with perl)

 - BS