[GLLUG] fluxbox questions

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Sep 24 11:23:13 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 10:09, after a long battle with
technology, Alex Nelson wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 01:18, steven collins wrote:
>> On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 18:14, Dylan M. wrote:

>>> as far as the mouse settings, what are you looking for?
>>> speed/acceleration, or some good mousewheel action?

>> Just speed/acceleration. Mousewheel works fine. I didn't see any
>> settings in the .fluxbox/init file for the mouse.

> The mouse settings are contained in your XF86Config file. Look at the
> settings for resolution for the speed setting. Mine has good comments
> in it but that is on a Gentoo machine.

What Alex forgot to mention is that there are 2 sets of settings for
mice in X, and they interact.

First, there's what you see when you do "xset q | grep accel".  This is
the acceleration and threshold setting you manipulate with "xset m
$ACCEL $THRESH" if you're old-school, or with KDE Control
Center->Peripherals->Mouse-Advanced if you're new-school.  It's useful
and you can manipulate it without restarting X, but some people want
even *more* control, so there's also:

# in /etc/X11/XF86Config
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
        Option      "Resolution" "100" # default
        Option "Buttons" "5"
        Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection
# end XF86Config

...setting the Resolution to higher numbers apparently works better for
some people.  100 is standard; the mouse reports an event every time it
moves 1/100".  For me, setting the mouse to report every time it moves
1/150" makes the thing too bloody jumpy.  Problem is, AFAICT, there's
no way to change the Resolution parameter in XF86Config and test it
without restarting X.

Users of {flux,black}box are expected to put xset commands in their
.xsession or .xinitrc files, I guess.

--
Totalitarian constructuvists believe if something can't be proven to
exist, it shouldn't exist.  They have an elegant proof that smoking