[GLLUG] Disk quotas

Brad Fears brad at mtsdev.com
Fri Sep 26 21:00:37 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 13:37, Marshal Newrock wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Brad Fears wrote:
>
> > I've been reading up on disk quotas for Linux, and according to the
> > HOWTO at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Quota.html, the kernel requires a
> > patch to enable the "most recent version of quota".  However, the kernel
> > has CONFIG_QUOTA enabled, so I'm assuming there is an older version that
> > doesn't require a kernel patch.  If so, anyone know where to find it or
> > maybe just a good link to more info?  TIA.
>
> 'quotacheck -F vfsold [filesystem]' will create a version 1 quota for an
> ext2/3 partition.  Use the '-c' option as well if you need to get rid of a
> v2 quota and replace it with a v1 quota.  ("quota" in this case refers
> only to the quota.user and quota.group files.)  See 'man quota' for more
> info.
>
> If you are using a 2.6 kernel, you can also use quotas on Reiserfs
> partitions.  Additionally, v2 quota support is in 2.6.  If you are using
> XFS, it has its own quota support (which quota supports).
>
> --
> Marshal Newrock, unemployed Linux user in Lansing, MI
> Caution: Product will be hot after heating

Perhaps I have something misconfigured, but I have a quota set for my
user account (as a test), yet the operating system doesn't seem to be
enforcing the quotas.  The man pages claim that quotacheck is supposed
to warn users after they have reached their "soft" limit, and completely
disallow any more disk usage after reaching their "hard" limit.  I set
my hard and soft limits below my actual disk usage and turned the grace
time down to 1 minute, but I don't see any warnings even after a reboot
(and running quotacheck), and I am still able to add more files to my
home directory.

Here is the related output from 'repquota -a':

*** Report for user quotas on device /dev/hda4
Block grace time: 00:01; Inode grace time: 7days
                        Block limits                File limits
User            used    soft    hard  grace    used  soft  hard  grace
fearsb    +- 1442888 1300000 1400000  00:01   22425     0     0

Any ideas?

--Brad Fears