[GLLUG] changing X-windows screen resolution on a laptop

Dylan M. misenhe1 at pilot.msu.edu
Wed Aug 11 14:52:10 EDT 2004

Ashton Shortridge wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I've had a lot of fun installing Linux on my generic laptop, and have kind of
>a dumb question. Xwindows allows one to change resolution by hitting
>Ctrl-Alt-+ -- this works fine on my desktop box. However, the plus and minus
>keys are on the keypad... which my laptop lacks! After some googling has left
>me high and dry, I thought I'd check with you guys for the answer.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Ashton

Look for something like this in your /etc/X11/XF86Config file:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "GF45200"
    Monitor     "VX900"
    DefaultDepth 24

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

And just change the Modes to whatever you need.  It will display the
first one listed.