[GLLUG] RE: Distro of Choice?

Lachniet, Mark mlachniet at sequoianet.com
Tue Aug 17 13:08:06 EDT 2004

FWIW, I've been working with SuSE, since that is the direction Novell is
going.  At first I was turned off with 8.0 - a few quirks here and
there, and some issues with language (native german speakers).  Also, If
you get the Novell enterprise servers through the beta or NFR programs,
be aware that you cannot get updates for the SuSE server stuff without
paying money, even if you get an NFR copy of the install media.  It's a
pain. (email me off line if you need details)

That said, I just decomissioned my RedHat 9 box and got a SuSE 9
standard up and running and I'm pretty happy. The YaST system works
pretty well, and I haven't had to go outside of the utility much.  SuSE
has lots of good packages that I need (such as Spam Assassin and
Squirrelmail) by default, has auto-magic online update, and a lot of
configuration utilities through YaST to set up the web server, firewall
rules, etc.  Its also kinda pretty looking.  It seems to run a lot
faster than my RedHat 9 box, also.  I went from a Celeron1.7ghz/512mb
RedHat 9 box to a Duron850/512mb SuSE 9 box and it seems to run faster
now, especially in the GUI (which used to choke bigtime).

So, the fact that SuSE is pretty good out of the box, plus the fact that
it has Novell support, and will run all the cool novell stuff like
n-terprise services, etc. will probably keep me on it.  Especially as
Novell starts pulling the Red Carpet services into the new ZenWorks -
this will allow you to set up your own patch staging servers, so you can
make a custom corporate build of Linux, and have your own auto-update,
management, etc.

Mark Lachniet