[GLLUG] Distro of Choice?

Melson, Paul PMelson at sequoianet.com
Thu Aug 19 08:51:48 EDT 2004

> Which common RPM based problems? Shouldn't be dependencies any more. I
> don't use Suse but I thought it's YAST system handled those
> automatically.

It does.  If I had to guess (which is to say, I'm about to air my own
beef with RPM-based distros), I would assume that he meant being forced
to use the specific versions that the mfr/distro releases to their
mirrors.  All of the major RPM distros are guilty of this - they will
patch a bug in an older version of an app and release it to their mirror
instead of updating to a newer release.  They also regularly leave out
useful features at build time.  (I just recently discovered that the
Nessus RPMs that are available with SuSE 9.1 don't support Nmap, even
though it's a standard build feature in Nessus and Nmap is available as
separate RPM for 9.1.)

PaulM