[GLLUG] Meeting Minutes, December 9, 2004

Charles Ulrich dincht at securenym.net
Fri Dec 10 14:54:50 EST 2004

Greetings fellow LUG members. If you didn't attend the meeting, here's
all the really keen stuff that you missed.

It was pointed out that I had the 8th specified in the meeting
annoucement rather than the 9th. I hope this didn't cause any
confusion.

Vital Statistics
----------------
Approximately 8 people attended the meeting which started at 6:00PM and
ended at about 8:15PM.

Presentation
------------
CGI Programming in C by Clay Dowling

Clay managed to successfully unhinge popular suspicion that he had gone
completely mad by illustrating to the group that writing CGI programs
in C was both very doable and not just an entertaining masochistic
exercise. By carefully modularizing your code (as you should do in
*all* C programming), you will rarely, if ever, have to do any of the
nasty things that many programmers abhor, such as manual string
processing. You also gain a number of benefits over interpreted and
byte-compiled languages such as portability, flexibility, and of course
speed.

A complete copy of the presentation slides, libraries, and source code
examples can be downloaded from the web at:

http://www.lazarusid.com/~clay/floppy.tgz

General Banter
--------------
How does one begin learning C? The definitive and most-often recommended
reference is The C Programming Lanuage, by K&R:

http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cbook/

Also mentioned was "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup:

http://www.research.att.com/~bs/C++.html

A few talked at length about various spam and spyware preventive
measures.

One fellow had a valid need to sniff packets at a router and most of the
group pointed him to Ethereal (ee-THEER-ee-ul):

http://www.ethereal.com/

There was also a highly intellectual, enlightening, and philosophical
discussion on the concept of manure as an automobile fuel.

There was pizza pizza.

Next Week's Meeting
-------------------
December 16, 2004, 6:00PM @ Atmosphere Annealing, Inc.

LPI Certification Training

Want to learn about Linux but aren't sure where to start? Or would you
like to bone up on your Linux mastery so you can ace the Linux
Professional Institute certification exam? The GLLUG LPI certification
training sessions may be the answer. While we don't provide the exam
itself, we do present material straight out of IBM's DeveloperWorks?
LPI study guides so you will have all of the knowledge you'll need to
run your own Linux machines in confidence and maybe even pass the LPI
exam if you choose to take it. We'll have experienced LUG members there
to teach the material and answer your questions in way too much detail
and to top it off, these sessions are FREE.

Upcoming Events