[GLLUG] vsftpd dead but subsys locked

Ex Fed exfed at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 2 03:00:05 EST 2004

I have a problem with vsftpd.  It was working, but I must've done something
to stop it.  When I try to ftp into the host I get the following error code:
500 OOPS: could not bind listening IPv4 socket.

I restart VSFTPD and it says OK, then I do status for VSFTPD and I get the
following error:  vsftpd dead but subsys locked.  PS -ef or -aux does not
show it as a running process, but there is not an error.

I have tried to reinstall VSFTPD, but that did not fix it.

The only things I can remember messing with were hosts.allow, hosts.deny.

Does somebody out there know how I can troubleshoot this?  VSFTPD runs
through xinetd.

Appreciate your help.

Lee