[GLLUG] Mail not sending properly

Rich Clark rrclark at rrclark.net
Fri Feb 27 05:57:41 EST 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Seth Bembeneck wrote:

> I have my email server going. POP and SMTP are working fine (at least
> the mail is sent ok).
>
> My problem is that the mail is always returned to me:
>
> First example:
>
> (email address is blocked out)
>
> <*********@twmi.rr.com>: host ohmx-2.columbus.rr.com[65.24.0.110] said:
> 550
>
>     5.7.1 Mail Refused - 68.79.96 - See
>
>     http://security.rr.com/mail_blocks.htm#security - 20031030 (in reply
>
>     MAIL FROM command)
>
> Attached text file text:
>
> Reporting-MTA: dns; www
>
> Arrival-Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:24:19 +0000 (Local time zone must be
> set--see zic manual page)
>
> Final-Recipient: rfc822; blahblha at twmi.rr.com
>
> Action: failed

> Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host ohmx-2.columbus.rr.com[65.24.0.110]
> said: 550
>
>     5.7.1 Mail Refused - 68.79.96 - See
>
>     http://security.rr.com/mail_blocks.htm#security - 20031030 (in reply
>
>     MAIL FROM command)
>
> Second example:
>
> <sbdataspiller at sbcglobal.net>: host sbcmx3.prodigy.net[207.115.63.49]
> said: 553
>
>     5.3.0 DNSBL:To request removal of, 68.79.96.245, please send and
> E-mail to
>
>     removeme at sbc.sbcglobal.net (in reply to MAIL FROM command)
>
> Attached text file text:
>
> Reporting-MTA: dns; www
>
> Arrival-Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:24:19 +0000 (Local time zone must be
> set--see zic manual page)
>
> Final-Recipient: rfc822; sbdataspiller at sbcglobal.net
>
> Action: failed

> Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host sbcmx3.prodigy.net[207.115.63.49] said:
> 553
>
>     5.3.0 DNSBL:To request removal of, 68.79.96.245, please send and
> E-mail to
>
>     removeme at sbc.sbcglobal.net (in reply to MAIL FROM command)
>
> Is there any other info that will help solve this?

As many ISPs have adopted DNS-based blocklisting to prevent cablemodem and
DSL users from mailing directly, what you most likely will have to do is
route your mail through rr.com's main MX systems.  To accomplish this in
postfix, add an entry to /etc/postfix/transport:

domain.name.rejecting.mail	smtp:[fqdn.of.rr.com.mx.machine.here]

For each domain that you receive a reject from, add a similar line to
above.  You may have to have your rr.com email address in the From: line
before they will accept the mail for relay.

Once you've edited the flat file, you'll need to run:

cd /etc/postfix (make certain you're in the /etc/postfix directory)
postmap transport

Postmap will create the .db file from the flat file you've entered.

You should also make certain you have the following line enabled in
/etc/postfix/main.cf:

Execute 'postfix reload' if you had to either add or uncomment this line
in main.cf.

I've had to do similar here as many ISPs were blocking my email.  I've got
transport set to point to the MX of a friend's network who relays my mail
to places like AOL, charter.com, yahoo, etc.

HTH, HAND,

Rich
--
   PENGUICON v2.0 - Detroit Sheraton Novi - April 16-18, 2004
Guests: Neil Gaiman, Jeff Bates, | Combo SF/Fantasy & Linux Expo