[GLLUG] Re: one more thing...

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sat Jan 3 15:43:51 EST 2004

On Saturday 03 January 2004 15:27, the dread hand of Mark Tarquini
scribed in ashen ink:
> sound, where does one configure sound on debian?  redhat seemed to
> just find my card without problem, or sndconfig i think was the
> command i used once...

One finds out what sound card one has by using "lspci -vv", then one
modprobes the appropriate sound module(s).  Debian disdains
"user-friendly" tools like sndconfig for the most part.  Hope your
soundcard isn't on the ISA bus, since that makes things trickier.
Report the results of "lspci -vv | grep -A6 audio" to the mailing list,
and someone can tell you exactly what to modprobe.

Regarding your X problems:  A general X troubleshooting tip that has
worked well for me in the past is to look at /var/log/XFree*.log , go
to the first line in that file that matches (EE) , then look at the 10
or 20 lines before that first EE line.  That's all I did with your
problem!  HTH,

--
   Love is a snowmobile racing across the Arctic tundra that suddenly
   flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night, the Ice Weasels come.