[GLLUG] ssh hangs on remote shutdown

Scott Harrison harris41 at msu.edu
Mon Jan 5 17:40:49 EST 2004

> > An ongoing phenomenon I have noticed is:
> > [remotemachine %] shutdown -r +2 &
> > The ssh session hangs on me, not returning me to the invoking shell.
>
> Try using shutdown without sending it to the background (no &). I think that
> will put you back to the prompt where you can logout safely without a hung
> terminal.

If I do:

shutdown -r now

I get returned to the prompt as Monsieur Ashok indicates.

If I do:

shutdown -r +2

my terminal is not usable for 2 minutes.  I have to wait!

An alternative is:

echo "shutdown -r now" | at now+2 minutes

But that depends on the "at" package and having atd running.

Anyways, thanks much for the feedback.  I understand what's going
on now; i.e. case closed unless there are any elegant ideas
simpler than using "at".