[GLLUG] suse installation

aSe at SysFail.com aSe at SysFail.com
Tue Jan 13 03:10:14 EST 2004

At 09:34 PM 1/12/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>I'm very much a linux newbie.  I just installed suse and can't get my
>modem or my graphics card to work properly.  It detected my modem but it
>won't dial; I know it's not my modem cause I can dial when I'm using
>Windows.  It didn't detected my Radeon 9200 at all.  Can anyone help?  It
>would be much appreciated!  Thanks!

I've never used suse before but, I figured I'd comment on the modem. Most
modems anymore to save cost are known as 'soft modems' or 'winmodems'.
Meaning on this type of modem the driver is the key factor in handling most
of the processing duties normally preformed on the modem itself. Not sure
what model you have but, driver support in those cases is very hard. The
wonderful DMCA doesn't make things easier.

Have you looked into the provided manual/docs? Are you getting any errors
that would hint at the actual problem(s)?

http://www.linmodems.org would be a good place to start with the modem issue.

-aSe [aSe at SysFail.com]