[GLLUG] How do I switch back to windows XP (dual boot?) ?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Fri Jan 16 16:24:10 EST 2004

On Friday 16 January 2004 16:06, after a long battle with technology,
Brian Hoort wrote:
> At 03:55 PM 1/16/2004, Jo Dillon wrote:
> > Counterpoint (but not with XP; I've dual-booted with every
> > Windows /other/ than XP and ME though) - I've never had any
> > problems with Windows clobbering my bootloader. It's usually best
> > to partition, then install Windows (which will clobber whatever was
> > previously in the MBR), then install Linux, though.

> My experience mirrors Jo's.  I've never had Windows clobber the MBR.
> I have seen it once on a friend's PC, however.

Whether a Windows installation overwrites the existing MBR seems to
depend on the installation CD itself.  The 'Doze2K CD I have for my
laptop does not clobber the MBR.  The 'Doze98 CD that came with my
first x86 does clobber the MBR.

--
   I went to edit my info to change "system administrator type dude" to
   "porn star for hire", but all I got was a threat.