[GLLUG] linuxrc

Melson, Paul PMelson at sequoianet.com
Mon Jan 19 11:26:42 EST 2004

Well, there's no guarantee that linuxrc exists as a file at all, even on
/dev/initrd (or /dev/ram0).  It's not required for initrd to run.
However, initrd loads from an image file (/boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img on
RedHat), and the linuxrc file is on that file system image.  So once
your system is booted, running `locate linuxrc` will probably only get
you the man page file.

You can build a new initrd image using mkinitrd, but I'm not certain how
to (or if it's even wise to) modify an existing initrd image.  What
precisely are you hoping to achieve by modifying linuxrc?

PaulM